Friday 10 July 2009

Introducing my new girlfriend Dolly...

Second day (day -7 with day 0 being cell infusion day) in hospital and last one in Ward 5E at the John Radcliffe, tomorrow the move to the Churchill hospital is a go; not sure what time exactly I'll move over, the plan is to get at least one chemo into me before going and then have the last one upon arrival as a welcome gift...

So far chemo has gone well, I think helped by being pretty "healthy" ahead of going in - ideal weight, reasonable stamina enough strength to lift up Luke...

Tomorrow will be the last day of chemo, Sunday a "rest day" and then Monday will be the start of radiotherapy, now with the advantage of just popping downstairs for treatment as opposed to being shipped back and forth from the JR to the Churchill and back by ambulance.

I have a new girlfriend, Dolly (the drip-stand). Here are some pictures of her dressed for the shower and "au naturel". The heparin I tweeted about is a blood thinner to help protect my liver from the radiotherapy (total body irradiation - TBI) as TBI thickens the blood. It's a slow push syringe that squirts in 1ml over the course of an hour, it's the wide pump below the blue pump. I will be hooked up (continually) to this until day +30 so I have had to get used to taking Dolly into the shower with me and everywhere else...

I also have loads of fluids pumped into me currently to protect my bladder from the effects of the increased cyclophosphamide dose I am receiving as part of chemo (the other chemo is fludarabine), this will likely stop as of next week.

Putting on loads of weight because of all the fluids, I'm getting furosemide to make me go to the loo a lot to try and lose it and on that note, the call of nature beckons.

Dolly, time for walkies...

No comments:

Post a Comment