Thursday 26 March 2009

Sausage & Egg McMuffin

OK - this is getting an obsession but hopefully it will ease pretty soon...

Part of my treatment is to take a pretty substantial amount of steroids everyday, many side-effects (my thighs and biceps have really shrunk) but biggest thing is HUNGER!!!

You may have noticed a couple of references to McDonalds in previous posts, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I do like it once in a while but one of the biggest things that has driven me to distraction is that on hospital days we get up early, I have enough breakfast to take some of my meds - the stronger stuff I wait until I get to the hospital as there is usually a wait from us arriving to the Day Treatment Unit opening - but every time to the hospital we drive past a McDonalds on the London Road:


View Larger Map


just as I get ready for "second breakfast" (yes, I know this officially makes me some kind of Hobbit) and because of how my taste buds are (again from the tablets), a massive urge for a Sausage & Egg McMuffin takes over.

Unfortunately, it's not allowed as I'm supposed to be off fast-food and takeaways because of the neutropenia - there is an excellent document that people should be aware of as to how to protect themselves, whilst at the hospital I was surprised seeing people eating salads which although are obviously healthy for a normal person, contain bacterial risk for those with no/low immune system.

Anyways - at the hospital there is a canteen where I can get something that helps stave off until lunch time and allows me to take the rest of the medication.

Tomorrow (Friday) is my last day of full blow steroids, after that I will be tapered off of them to allow my body to adjust to the withdrawal - it will be interesting to see how that affects things.

No comments:

Post a Comment