Tuesday 31 March 2009

Steroid withdrawal

I think I may have mentioned in a previous blog that last Friday was my last full dose of steroid treatment (105mg per day for the Ops types...).

Rather than go cold turkey on it, I am now on a week of "tapering" - 60/40/30/20/10/5mg doses that will end this Sunday (the 5mg dose).

It's playing merry havoc with my system at the moment, principally in the sleep department it would seem, the effects whilst on steroids were:
  • Increased appetite
  • Keeps you awake
  • Muscle loss(!) from biceps and quads
Now that I'm coming off of them I would expect things to change but still seem to have the appetite - talking with another Consultant yesterday, he mentioned that the fatigue I particularly felt yesterday could well have been due to the change in steroid regime.

Tomorrow I'm down to the 30mg level for a couple of days so we'll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment