Wednesday 18 March 2009

Told you I wasn't feeling well...

I was listening to the radio the other day and it dawned on me that I haven't really indicated the symptoms that lead to the diagnosis.

Given the amount of exercise I do, I would say that I'm reasonably fit and fundamentally know when something "isn't quite right" - the non-disappearance of what I thought were muscular pains after a strenuous gym session prompted the sessions to the doctor but looking back on this all:
  • Deep "muscular" pain (it was actually pain in the bones because of the blast cells)
  • Nose bleeds that didn't stop quickly (because platelet count is affected by the blast cells)
  • Weight loss that people were commenting on (and I thought it was because of more activity and better diet :-( )
  • General tiredness/fatigue (haemoglobin levels dropping meaning less oxygen being carried around)
This came on very quickly, I was told that had I have had a blood test in November 2008, everything would likely have checked out fine.

Bottom line - don't be a hypochondriac but do listen to your body, if multple things start occurring get a proper check out to include a Full Blood Count.

No comments:

Post a Comment